Jagged C Press
Jagged C Press is the independent publishing imprint of author Liam Howley.
Author Liam Howley
Liam Howley was born in 1977. Upon receiving a bachelor's degree in Forestry from University College Dublin, he disappeared into the sea of green that is Amazonian Peru. Emerging with the first leaves of The Absurd Demise of Poulnabrone in hand, he returned to his native city of Dublin, where he lives with his wife and daughter. He loves... "the curl and turn of well wrought words. The wrung out meaning." And literature from the Americas. And when the night is young and the world sleeping, the solitude of the page.
The Jagged C Press logo, as with the Jagged C Press header, employs the elegant sans-serif Junction typeface, and overlays an outline of Dublin bay. All other text are set with the commanding and humanist Goudy Bookletter 1911 typeface. The Absurd Demise of Poulnabrone uses Sorts Mill Goudy throughout, with League Gothic on the spine and front cover.
The Jagged C Press project has been from conception a one man affair, with the following notable exceptions:
- For editorial services on The Absurd Demise of Poulnabrone, Katie Cox. Both meticulous and dedicated, she spared no red ink. All credit is earned.
- To the many designers and developers of the open source community, who remain for the most part anonymous, but provide countless hours of labour on their various projects. When they're not busy coding, they often appear on various forums offering invaluable advice and expertise. They are immense. They include, but are not limited to:
- The powerful and professional desktop publishing program Scribus.
- A drawing program with which I have yet to scratch the surface Inkscape.
- The outstandingly versatile image manipulation program Gimp.
- For the creation of Epub e-books: Sigil.
- For the conversion of e-books: Calibre.
- For Libre Office or indeed open office, both of which I have used with satisfaction.
- To the people at Wordpress, and all who sail in her. And in that vein the creators of the Starkers theme. This site is a derivation.
- For a beautiful and easy to use Linux desktop Linux Mint. Linux seems to scare a lot of people. It really shouldn't. I have found it to be everything I needed it to be and more. Make the switch!
- To Thomas Tom Oberbichler, for his aptly named Sigil Walkthrough. Stay wonderful Tom.
- To the good folk of The Four Courts Hostel. There's no finer hostel to be found in Dublin. But be nice to the night-porters if you should enjoy a night or two there.
There are many more to thank I am sure. Not least the wonderful people who share my life. I love you all.
Thinking of submitting a manuscript. Please reconsider. Jagged C Press has an exclusive list, with no plan for expansion. It truly is an independent imprint, in the strictest sense of the term. If however, independent publishing is an option you would like to pursue, feel free to drop in on the Jagged C Blog where advice and links may sporadically appear, or alternatively, send me an email. I will be delighted to hear from you.